Attracting and retaining top finance and accounting professionals is crucial for the growth and success of your organization. Creating a competitive compensation package is how your company can stand out among other employers.
Designing an Attractive Salary Package
- Conduct Market Research
To create a competitive salary package, start by conducting comprehensive market research to understand the industry standards for finance and accounting roles in your region. Analyze data from reputable sources such as Glassdoor, Payscale, the Bureau of Labor Statistics, and our Salary Guide to establish a baseline for your compensation package.
- Consider Job Responsibilities and Experience
Organizations should base their salary packages on factors such as job responsibilities, experience, and the level of expertise required. For instance, a CFO with experience in mergers and acquisitions or international operations may command a higher salary than one without such skills. Ensure your compensation package is commensurate with the level of expertise and responsibility that the role demands.
- Offer Performance-based Incentives
A study by Harvard Business School found that offering performance-based incentives, such as bonuses, profit-sharing plans, or equity grants, can increase employee productivity and retention. These incentives not only motivate employees to perform at their best but also help align their interests with the company’s goals. Additionally, performance-based rewards can help you retain top talent by offering a long-term financial stake in the organization.
Benefits and Perks
- Flexible Work Arrangements
A survey by Deloitte showed that 80% of respondents identified flexibility as an important factor when evaluating job offers (Deloitte, 2020). Offering flexible work arrangements, such as remote work, flexible hours, or compressed workweeks, can improve work-life balance and make your company a more attractive employer.
- Robust Healthcare and Retirement Plans
A competitive benefits package should include comprehensive healthcare coverage and retirement plans. According to a 2022 MetLife study, 73% of employees say that a wider benefit offering would keep them at their present employer for longer. Offering a range of insurance options, from low-cost plans with high deductibles to premium plans with extensive coverage, allows employees to choose the coverage that best meets their needs. In addition, provide a 401(k) plan with a generous employer match to help employees save for retirement.
- Professional Development Opportunities
According to LinkedIn Research, three of the top five factors that drive people to pursue new jobs reflect their desire to stretch, grow, and develop new skills. Provide access to ongoing training, certifications, and educational opportunities to help employees stay up-to-date with industry trends and enhance their skills. Additionally, consider offering tuition reimbursement for advanced degrees or professional certifications.
- Unique Perks
To set your company apart, offer unique perks that cater to the needs and preferences of finance and accounting professionals. Some research-backed suggestions include:
- Wellness programs: A study by the International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans found that 63% of organizations experienced a positive impact on employee engagement and satisfaction from using their wellness programs.
- Mental health support: According to a survey by the American Psychological Association, a majority (81%) of survey respondents said that employers’ support for mental health will be an important consideration when they look for work in the future. Provide access to mental health resources, such as employee assistance programs, to help employees manage stress and maintain a healthy work-life balance.
- Generous vacation policies: A recent study showed that employees who used more of their vacation time were more likely to receive a raise or bonus. Offer a competitive amount of paid time off or implement a flexible PTO policy that allows employees to take time off as needed.
Creating a competitive compensation package for finance and accounting talent is crucial to attracting and retaining top professionals in today’s job market. By conducting thorough market research, tailoring salary packages to job responsibilities and experience, offering performance-based incentives, and providing a robust benefits package with unique perks, your company can become the employer of choice for CFOs and Controllers.
Implementing research-backed strategies can make a significant difference in your ability to attract and retain top talent in the finance and accounting field.
Want to talk more about industry salaries? Contact us here.